Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Cycling

I've been trying to figure out how fast a person can go on a bicycle. Not the world record, just what is an average velocity on your run-of-the-mill ten speed. I'm trying to assess the practicality of using it as a commuter vehicle. Well, I can't find it. The closest thing I've found is the top average daily speed on the tour-de-frog, which is around 30 mph.

The article on the previous post asserts that the bike is impractical since the elderly and feeble, who could probably drive a car, couldn't get around. I think other problems would include not being able to ride in the rain, needing to shower at work, getting annihilated by automobile traffic, etc. Still, imagine what kind of shape you'd be in if this were possible.

Anyway, during my search I found this site. It's about bikes that have special aerodynamic bubbles to reduce drag. Check out the top times. Most of the speeds were achieved for just 200 meters, but 81 m.p.h. is still astonishing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home