Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Mike's back, and bigger than ever!

Metaphorically speaking. Mike has been blogging up the storm upon his return. I think he's written more since his return than he did during his first month. BTW, I whole-heartedly agree with this post.

Programming Updates
I've been enhancing my "Switch Connection" software recently. I was never a big fan of Object Oriented programming, since most of the things I've needed to do were more in the scripting or "write it once, then forget it" zone. However, after tweaking the original program for about a year I decided to make this a Perl Class, and to add various methods and properties to it. This has worked out extremely well, since I have to keep making fundamental changes to the software as I extend its uses. For instance, today I created a "password reset" program to reset a single user's password in all of our cities. This required a complete change in the way the software logged in, but because I had broken each piece of the login stage into sub-functions, it only require a few additional lines of code to add this enhancement. Pretty neat.

Global Warming/Cooling?
There's been some buzz around the global warming blogs/sites regarding this report. Apparently some pentagon think tank guys have decided that rapid climate change is quite possible in the near future, and they are worried about it. If you'd like to worry about it too, go read it.

Traffic Update
This morning, a pretty young lady decided that waiting to reach the red light to perform a U-turn was too much trouble, so she just hung a left across the grass median. I barely missed her, since I don't normally have to worry about this and wasn't looking in her direction until I was almost on top of her(I was just turning right onto this road, and so I was look left for the all clear). I have two messages for this woman. First, your car isn't really made for that kind of maneuver, and you could've gotten stuck. Secondly, you owe me a new pair of underwear.

Music
I've been listening to the Weird Al Stuff Mike found on the Web. I think my favorites are the "Taxman" Parody "Pacman", and "It's Still Billy Joel To Me."

American Idol. Sigh. I'm ashamed to say I've been keeping up with this recently. I managed to ignore the first two seasons, but the Gong-Show quality of the early rounds finally hooked me. I missed it last night, now that they've worked the awful people out, it's not as much fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home