Friday, June 18, 2004

What I'm reading(have already read, actually)

I saw a preview for the new "I, Robot" movie. It looks like a travesty to me, though I thought they did a good job with "Bicentennial Man." Anyway, I decided to reread the stories, and so over the past few days I've been reading them one short story at a time. I've finished "I, Robot" and "Robot Dreams", of which the latter is just "I, Robot" plus some additional stories(including the original "Bicentennial Man"). After that I read a book called "Nine Tomorrows", which I bought at the old "Oxford Too" used bookstore(at least I think that was the name). I had never actually read it until yesterday, and I have to say I have to list it as one of his better works.

The best story, for me anyway, was one called "profession". In it, the people of the future are all assigned the profession that most fits their brain. They are actually trained in a day with an imprint(reminds me of the first Matrix) on their mind. The story is about a character named "George" who, though intelligent, is unsuitable to have any profession imprinted on him including the one he desires most, programmer. It follows with Georges refusal to admit he is "Feeble-minded", and comes to an interesting conclusion.

While looking for the links I used above, I found out that the Foundation novels are going to be made into a movie. I hope they do a good job, I love this series as well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

I love Asimov!

Matter of fact, Sturgeon's name was almost Asimov. I had just finished reading a great book by Theodore Sturgeon when we got him, and that name won out in the end.

I've read a lot of Asimov's stuff. A couple of years ago I read both volumes of his autobiography (the late-70's 2 volume, 1500 page set). I love "I, Robot". I have been meaning to read the robot novels ("Caves of Steel", "Naked Sun") but i've not got around to it yet.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home