Tuesday, December 14, 2004

More Software

I've been aware of DOSbox for a while, but I hadn't really tested it out before. However, recently I've loaded several of my old DOS games into it. The more visually intense ones(like full throttle), are a little jumpy, but the older stuff is flawless(star trek 25th anniversary edition, Civilization I, Pool of Radiance, etc.) . The FAQ page explains how well the software works, and cautions that more intense games(especially Duke Nukem 3D) will work poorly. Still, I've got a lot of the old games, and it's nice to be able to use them without a dual-boot. Also, it's nice not to have to run to DOS mode(in win98). There is a supported games page to see if any of your old games will work.

Another cool aspect of this software is that it has been ported to Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X, so if you want to keep you virtual DOS system but move to a new OS, it's a simple copy.

I'll be testing some other games soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Full Throttle was an excellent game!!!

2:26 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Yep. Though the last time I played it seriously I couldn't get past the car crash derby part. I could never get the better of the bad guy's car.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home