Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Disney Trip: Day One

A week ago today was our first day 'at Disney'. Specifically, we were at Epcot. We bought 4 day passes to the parks(these are much cheaper on a 'per day' basis, I think). We got there before the park opened. We chose Epcot first because there weren't a lot if kid rides, and we wanted a test day to see how everyone was going to handle everything. We knew it was going to be crowded.

They let us in about 10 minutes before the official opening time, and I thought 'cool!'. Then, we stopped at a rope at the edge of all of the rides. Turns out they let people in but don't let them do anything until the 'official' opening time. Oh, well.

After they dropped the rope, we ran to get on the 'test track'. This was the only major ride in 'Epcot' I hadn't ridden(besides Soarin' which is brand new), and the only thing in this park resembling a roller coaster. I got to ride it twice, and it's pretty fun. After this, we rode Mission: Space while the kids-n-moms rode the Ellen's Energy Adventure(bleah!). By the time we were all done, the park was beginning to get busy. We trekked over to 'The Land' to ride the new Soarin' ride and found a huge wait. We got fast-passes, and rode the sleepy 'Living with the land' ride. We then hoofed it over to the imagination pavilion. The 'Honey, I shrunk...' ride was backed up, and we pretty much didn't care about it anyway. We rode the Journey Into Imagination(with Eric Idle, though not terribly entertaining) ride, and played in the follow-up playroom.

At lunch time we ate at 'The Land'. The Line for Soarin' was even longer then, but we had those fast-passes. Finally, our fast-pass time came, and we glided by the humongous line. We got a 'switch-off' pass for my brother-in-law because his kid was too young to ride. This pass was good for three riders. I experienced schadenfraude as we walked by a thousand people to get in line in front of them. Rode Soarin' (which is fun, but somewhat disappointing. It's essentially an Imax movie where they lift you up and put you so close to the screen that you feel as if you are flying, but I could see the little pattern lines of the screen in the image. No way it was worth the two-plus hours most folks were waiting to ride it). We came back out, and it was time to choose who would accompany my brother-in-law with the 'threefer' pass. Turned out to be me and my niece. So I got to experience schadenfraude again as I walked by all those folks for a second time. I successfully resisted the urge to go neener-neener as I stepped up again to ride.

It was getting later in the day now, and some of the kids were pooping out. I had to carry my kid from 'The Land' to the Mexican Pavilion in the 'World Showcase'. It would not be the last time I carried my child on this trip. We rode the trimmed down Mexican 'Small World' copycat ride. We then went and camped out in front of the Chinese pavilion. I had seen the acrobats there last time, and I thought this was something everyone would enjoy. We hit the Maelstrom('Norwegian') and Reflections of China (A 360 degree movie), and it was getting really late now. We took some pics and finished walking around the big circle. We caught 'Spaceship earth' on the way out.

Ride Summary:
Test Track
Mission: Space
Ellen's Energy Adventure
Living With the Land
Circle of Life Movie
Soarin'
Journey Into Imagination
El Rio Del Tiempo
Maelstrom
Reflections of China
Chinese Acrobat show
Spaceship earch

Tomorrow: Magic Kingdom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home