Tuesday, March 09, 2004

SCO vs. Linux

I haven't blogged about this before, but this case get's a lot of noise on my newsfeeds, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents. Essentially, SCO contends that they have rights to a portion of the software included in linux, and therefore all linux users should pay them a license fee. They are suing IBM, who uses linux on some of its servers. They have also filed suit against a couple of companies that use Linux.

Personally, I don't think they are going to get very far. The Linux OS was built, more-or-less, from the ground up. The pieces of code in question were included from code that IBM developed and wrote and added to their version of UNIX. I don't see how they can claim damages when the situation can be remedied by removing the offending code in question.

Bruce Perens agrees with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home