Friday, December 19, 2003

Today's post...

...is about computers, strangely. I finally decided to rip down the Packard Bell. It was a Pentium, 75mhz, that I bought in 1995. I was using it because I needed access to a 5.25 inch floppy drive that I could not get to run on my Ginstar box. Well, after messing around with the setup on the Ginstar, I have now activated that drive on it. So, the last reason to keep the PB machine is gone. It was a decent computer, and It was the only one I had until 2001, so I got a lot of miles out of it. (play "Taps" here.)

Now, I'm running with two good computers. The Ginstar, and the Dell. The Ginstar has always had minor glitches, but I've managed to tweak it enough to get good use out of it. The only problem with it I could never solve was the DVD-ROM issue. For some reason this machine could never play a DVD worth a krud. It was unwatchable under win98 and vaguely off under winxp. This, however, is no longer an issue since I put that DVD drive in Mike's box. I am contemplating getting a new case for it, so that I can attach more drive's. The current case is weird, in that it has a 3.5 inch drive bay at the top and middle of the case. The middle bay can only be used for a floppy, since it has one of those partially covered bays on it. I liked the case they used with Mike's machine, and I think it retails for just $36, so I will probably pick one up tonight.

I am considering replacing the board itself. I would like to keep the machine viable, and I could probably double the speed(currently 600 MHz) inexpensively without having to discard all of the Cards, etc. I've bought for it. I'm not sure about this though.

The Dell does what I bought it for. It is a great general entertainment center, and It will import video without too many glitches(although the sound lag thing still ticks me off). I'm looking forward to putting Winxp Plus! on it.

I'm currently in an emulator mode, and I'm playing with bochs. I've tried a couple of times to use it, but I never seem to find the time at home to set up a full operating system under it. I'm going to try, over the holiday, to load MS-DOS under it. I want to see if it works playing any old games. I'm also going to try Dosbox.

I will be off all next week, but I'm hoping to post daily.

Have a Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home