Wednesday, June 02, 2004

I'd been meaning...

... to post about this post of Scott's from his old blog, but I never got around to it. I think the answer to this guy's(link from Scott's posts) question is that the last time Republicans tried to act like Repbublicans, the voters burned them for it. Jacob Levy puts it more eloquently than I do, which is why I finally decided to post.

The government sucks, but it the sum total of our combined desires. We want to have our cake and eat it too(low taxes and high spending). Not individually, but as a group. Most Conservatives would willingly give up Medicare and Social Security to balance the budget, but they are not a majority, and so no-go-there. Most liberals would willingly raise taxes sky high, but once again the cosntituency for this while larger still isn't enough to get it pushed through. We can't have both forever, but we're too divided to do the right thing, whatever that is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home