Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Holiday summary and other miscellany

Well, that's it. My big holiday trip. Overall, I have to say that I was pleased with it. While I didn't get to do everything I planned on, I did do more than I thought we would. Considering the number of people involved on this trip, I think we had about the best one we could expect.

However, I do think that there will be fewer vacations this year. There will be an anniversary trip of course(probably to D. C.), but other than that we have nothing planned. We did five last year: Chattanooga(April), Las Vegas(June), Panama City(July), Gatlinburg(October) and Disney(December). The Gatlinburg trip was originally going to be a trip to New Orleans, but was changed for obvious reasons. I'm now pretty much vacationed out.

My home computer decided to puke this morning. It was running fine last night, but this morning it booted into my user I.D., showed me my desktop for about a second, and then displayed a blue screen. After that it wouldn't boot at all. I haven't had time to investigate further, though I'm at a loss as of what to do except reload. I used a Linux live CD to browse the C: drive and make sure that files were still accessible. They seemed to be okay.

About two months ago, I bought a new camcorder. It's a Sony Handycam HC32. It uses mini-DV tapes, can take pictures to a memory stick(I haven't bought one yet), and comes with a base station for charging and downloading video to a P.C. It also does video pass-through so I can use it in lieu of my rather crappy Dell Video capture card. So far, I've used it to read in about 12 hours of analog tapes(Hi 8 and VHS) and the quality and sound synchronization are great. If you don't already have a functional video capture solution, I can't recommend this one enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home