Tuesday, January 13, 2004

One terabit in 1969.

Here is what one terabit looked like in 1969. Link via instapundit.

Hard Disk
I may be getting a new 200GB disk today. If I do, I've also got to get a PCI/ATA-100 controller card.

ELFA
Ever heard of ELFA shelving. Go here if you care. This stuff is modular and easy to rearrange, and I built one narrow(but tall!) shelf last week. Today I am definitely going to pick up some more. It's pretty easy to install, and the shelves are deep(12'',16'', or 20''). It also comes with all kinds of special devices so that you can use it in closets to hang clothes, or you can use it in your garage(where I'm installing mine) to hang tools. The only bad part is the price. My one shelf cost me around $125. Today's purchase will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $240, and these are sale prices.

Blue-Laser
Meanwhile, on the Blue-Laser media front. It appears that there is another industry divide on which format to use. I just hope they pick "one" format, and I don't particularly care which one.

The two contesting versions in question are HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. HD-DVD seems to be more consumer friendly(it's players will be able to play CD's and regular DVD's), but it's capacity will be smaller(single layer 15GB, Dual layer 30GB, consumer burnable media 20GB). This format is apparently less secure than Blu-Ray(single layer 25GB, dual layer 50GB), which has 128 bit encryption.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Bought this for twenty bucks at Best-Buy last Friday. Been playing it way too much. It's a lot like it's ultimate ancestor Dark Forces. The controls are the same, and some of the weapons are the same. It's pretty fun.

Adios.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home